Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

We Made It!

The adventures began as soon as Brett lovingly left his baby sister on an Amtrak train headed to LA with an energy drink in hand. Needless to say, Kate and I successfully became best friends with the conductors and thoroughly enjoyed some breathtaking views of the pacific coast.




We arrived at Union Station and headed off to find the shuttle service, but ended up going in the completely wrong direction. Some helpful people directed us the right way and in no time we were off to LAX. We got to the gate with no problem and immediately saw a group of college students sitting in a corner hanging out. We were able to get to know some of our mates before even leaving! Our plane arrived and it was enormous!! I think it was a 747, but it had two levels!! We of course were in the very back of the plane (I was actually in the 2nd to last row) and enjoyed the benefits of high turbulence, crying children, and the occasional random person snoring on your shoulder. The abundance selection of movies and TV shows definitely made up for it and I was finally able to watch The Social Network, Charlie St Cloud (LOVE!), and Eat Pray Love. Sleep was a little hard to come by and I am definitely feeling it as I type this!

The 13 hour flight went by extremely quickly and before I realized it, we were here! First of all, their accents are to die for! I really hope to have one by the time I come home. Second of all, everyone is extremely nice and completely relaxed! The security inspectors laughed at Kate and I for asking if we had to take our shoes, belts, coats, and liquids out to scan. And lastly, there are a ton of Asians, which surprised me for some reason. We made it through passport, baggage, customs, and domestic check-in so quickly. The International and Domestic Terminals are a 10 minute walk apart and it was so refreshing to get moving in such a gorgeous surrounding! I LOVE IT! Our flight to Wellington was only an hour and somehow I lucked out and ended up sitting next to the director of the program (and teacher for 3 out of my 4 classes) in Row 4 while the rest of group was in the back of the plane! Dr. Garton is so knowledgeable about the Islands and was able to give me an hour long arial tour of the North Island and other fun stories. I can already tell I am going to love his classes!

And finally, WE ARE HERE! The tour bus picked us up and drove us to Weir House which is part of the Victoria University system. Weir House was built in 1932, but don't worry it's been reinforced to withstand Class 5 earthquakes, which are quiet common.



We unloaded and found our rooms which are adorable! It's co-ed halls with individual rooms and two general bathroom areas.



Once everyone got settled, we began the decent down the mountain. Oh did I forget to mention that we are sitting on top of a mountain with the most gorgeous view in the world! Wellington is a very hilly city, San Francisco-esk. Our little jog down the side of the mountain was concerning since we knew that at some point we'd have to hike back up. And let me tell you, hiking gear may well be one of the those unwritten recommendations! We explored the city, found Cuba Street, which is the place to be, and finally made it down to the waterfront.



We found a small grocery store to get some provisions and shampoo before beginning the hike back up. However, at this point, the five of us were so confused that it took about an hour to get home. Thanks to a compass keychain, an architecturally aware engineer, and the sheilas (girls) recognizing the unique shops, we found our winding, treacherous, steep, and all-so-fun pathway up the mountain. Dinner time, unpacking time, and trying to stay awake for another 3 hours time. One of the longest few days of my life, but also one of the best days :)

- Mom and Dad, you may just well have lost another child to the magical wonders of the Pacific Ocean… Oh and I got a phone, but am still figuring out how to call international. Love you!

2 comments:

  1. i just discovered on your map thing you can make it to satellite view so i can actually see where you're at. sweeeet. i hope everything is good and i know you're having a blast! you should call your roomies with your new cell phone sometime if you can!! loveee youuuuuuuuuuu.

    ps. it might just be my computer, but you're pictures didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see your pictures-- the place looks like paradise so far!

    ReplyDelete